Opinion: The Right Mindset
“With our thoughts, we make the world.”
Over the past few years, one of the most important thing that I have learnt after great struggle is that — all that is around us is a product of our thoughts. What we can perceive is what we can achieve. We humans have always undermined the power of our brain and thoughts. Forget recent studies, I can tell you this with concrete confidence that changing your thoughts can change your world. Our brain is our universe, nothing is beyond it.
The question is, what do we need to succeed or to be happy? THE RIGHT MINDSET. That’s all we need.
So what is a MINDSET? Your mindset is the sum of your knowledge, including beliefs and thoughts about the world and yourself in it. It is your filter for the information you get in and put out. So it determines how you receive and react to information. Your mindset is your inner voice. The voice that tells you either to give up or to keep going.
Can we change our MINDSET? We do not have a fixed mindset. It can be easily changed by continuous effort. Personally I believe that I had a negative mindset till few years back. I had no problem in life, everything was going fantastic, yet I wasn’t always happy. I would experience extreme happiness, sadness & anger. Every emotion was too extreme. Changing my mindset from negative to positive took some time and effort, but it was completely worth it. Today, even when things are not going my way, I am usually happy and satisfied. Change the way you talk to yourself and see how the magic happens. Nothing in this world is fixed, not even your mindset. Develop your mindset in such a way that it helps you succeed and achieve greater level of satisfaction and happiness.
How can we change our MINDSET to positive? There is no absolute or single way to change our mindset. It takes great effort and time. In order to develop a positive mindset, it is important to understand some undermentioned points.
1. You create your own reality You create your own reality by the way you react to the outside world. When something happens you get to choose whether to react to it in a positive or negative manner. It is important to understand that things (people, situations etc) around us are continuously changing, nothing is constant. We cannot control everything around us. And the essence of life is in the fact that we cannot control external things, however, we can control how we react to them and how we let them shape our lives. We are the masters of our life. We are the architects of our destiny.
2. Understand yourself Understand yourself, your temperament, intellect, opinions, emotions. You can’t be master of yourself if you don’t first understand yourself. You are not constant, you are ever-changing. You create yourself with your thoughts and actions. Do not listen to anyone who says that people must not change or people who change are bad. The basic rule of survival in nature is to change and adapt. The basic purpose of life is to learn and become better human beings. How can we become better if we do not change?
“Life isn’t about FINDING yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself.”
You must strive to create the best version of yourself.
3. Spend time with positive people and break away from negative people “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” Take this point very seriously. The people you spend the most time with ultimately become your inner voice. You start thinking & behaving like them. Spend time with saints and you will end up being a little saint yourself. Choose your company wisely.
4. Overload your brain and senses with positivity There are many books, audios, videos, movies and quotes available on the internet for free. Make use of them. Overload your brain and senses with positive material. Read good & inspirational books. Listen to positive songs. Watch inspirational videos. Read positive quotes. Unfollow all friends on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram who post negative and sad stuff. Follow people who inspire you to do something great. Do this and see how your inner voice changes rapidly.
5. Like attracts like ‘As we think and feel, a corresponding frequency is sent out into the universe that attracts back to us events and circumstances on that same frequency. For example, if you think angry thoughts and feel angry, it is claimed that you will attract back events and circumstances that cause you to feel more anger. Conversely, if you think and feel positive, you will attract back positive events and circumstances.’ [Borrowed from the book “THE SECRET”]
“When you really want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” It may sound superficial but this kind of thinking helps a lot.
6. Don’t play the victim. You create your life — take responsibility. Remember, you are responsible for everything that happens in your life. Do not blame others for your own failures. Do not blame others if they do not understand you or your path. It's your life and the only person who must understand you and your path is YOU and nobody else. Take charge of your life and yourself. You can change anything if you really want to. Nothing is permanent.
In one of his interviews, Steve Jobs highlighted an important fact about life that has greatly influenced me. “When you grow up, you tend to get told the world is the way it is and your life is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into the walls too much. Try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money. That’s a very limited life. Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.” ~ Steve Jobs
[Video Link: https://youtu.be/qHLmIuszMTY]
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
Take charge. Carpe diem.